Green clean kitchen floor

The floors in my house get dirty fast with two little boys, especially the kitchen. My boys are young, so they are flinging food everywhere at mealtime. "Mamma, I'm done (...fling plate on the floor)!" I tried various green cleaning solutions the floor and didn't have much success: a solution of Dr. Bronner's just seemed to wipe the surface clean and made it somewhat greasy; I mixed baking soda, super washing soda, and citric acid together to make a paste, and while it seemed to work well, it needed a lot of elbow grease. Then I tried the cleaner I use on my kitchen sink: Bon-Ami. (It received an A from the EWG's site, so I know it's safe for my kids. And it's only $1.19/can at my local market!) What a great job! My husband even remarked that it looked as though the light was shining on only the clean part of the floor. If he noticed, you can take it to the bank that this stuff really works.

Note: I have textured linoleum in my kitchen (clearly the builder did NOT have children), so it required a little extra elbow grease. Don't use this on wood floors.

Here's the scoop: get a bucket, a good scrub brush, rag, and rubber gloves. Sweep or vacuum the floor to get the big pieces off. Fill the bucket with warm water, put on the gloves, and working one small area at a time, wet the floor and sprinkle the bon ami on the wet floor. Follow that with a generous scrubbing with the brush. When all the dirt has been removed, wipe it down with the rag, rinsing it in the bucket of water when needed. Wipe it down as many times as needed to remove the residue from the Bon Ami (it contains limestone, and other ingredients that you won't want kids/pets to ingest). Change the water as often as needed. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Homemade Cloth Diaper Detergent - Recipe #1

Spotlight on Buying Local: Ronnybrook Farms