Bathroom Analysis: From Shampoo to Mouthwash


This is a picture of all the personal cleansers currently in use in our bathroom. To analyze these products, I went to the Environmental Working Group's website, specifically their Cosmetics Database, to find answers. This database uses a numeric rating system from 0 (low concern) to 10 (high concern). When examining each product, it is important to note that each product receives an overall rating, and a rating on each chemical contained in the product.


From left to right, following the pictured items, here's what I found:

Seventh Generation Bubble Bath: Scored 2, with a high concern of skin/eye/lung irritation. My kids don't really go nuts over a bubble bath, and we use it infrequently enough that I'm not going to throw it in the trash. But I will probably replace it with a homemade or organic version when the bottle is empty.

Listerine Cool Mint Mouthwash: Scored 3. I've read about making your own mouthwash, and I'm willing to give it a try once the bottles are empty. I bought a blister pack from BJs so it might be a while before I post a replacement recipe.

Earth's Best Soothing Shampoo & Body Wash, Lavender: Scored 3. Two ingredients concern me: linalool and lauryl lactate. The former given a rating of 5, concerning allergies and immunotoxicity, and the latter for concerns with cancer, ecotoxicology, and use restrictions. This stuff is pretty expensive, too ($12/bottle). I plan on making my own once this bottle is empty.

The Body Shop Pink Grapefruit Body Wash: While this item wasn't specifically listed, TBS's Lavender Body Wash was, and the ingredient list is pretty similar. Overall, it received a rating of 4, but one ingredient, geraniol, received a 7 for ecotoxicology, allergies/immunotoxicity, and use restrictions.  Another ingredient, limonene, received a 6 for developmental/reproductive toxicity, ecotoxicology, allergies/immunotoxicity, and irritation. While I do love TBS's soaps, I will be making my own once my giant bottles are gone. It may be a while, I stocked up during their last sale!

Dove shampoo: Overall, scored a 5, with a whopping 8 for fragrance! Yikes. We pay a hefty price for things to smell good. I will be making my own once this bottle is empty.

Dove conditioner: Overall, scored a 5, and similar to the shampoo, scored an 8 for fragrance. I'll need to do some serious research for a conditioner/recipe that works for me and my fine/slightly greasy hair. 

Irish Spring body wash: Overall, scored a 5 with 8 for fragrance. Sorry, hubby, but Mamma's replacing your soap. I love you too much to take any risks, especially with something so mundane as soap. 

Mary Kay Timewise facial wash: Scored a 5, with a score of 7 for propylparaben. Timewise doesn't look so smart now, does it?

Aveda be curly shampoo: Not listed specifically, but other Aveda shampoos are, and their scores range from 3-5. Since I will be replacing the Dove, we will have one bottle in the shower for the both of us!

The Body Shop Satsuma hand soap: Only the bar soap was listed, and that received an overall rating of 4, with fragrance rating an 8. I will be making my own hand soap in the future when my supply runs out.

Colgate toothpaste: Overall rating of 3, seems pretty safe to me. But are there better alternatives? Yes! Tom's toothpaste (many listed) scored as low as 0. I'm making the switch.

Comments

  1. This was an eye-opener, thank you!

    I've been buying Tom's toothpaste primarily because they don't test on animals, but good to know about its safety, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Tom's is not only better for you, but also comes in lots of flavors - for adults and kids.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Homemade Cloth Diaper Detergent - Recipe #1

Spotlight on Buying Local: Ronnybrook Farms