Automatic Dishwasher Detergent

For years, we used Finish (with powerball and Jet Dry!) as our automatic dishwasher detergent. Every few months I bought the XL container from BJ's. Then I looked it up; the EWG's Guide to Healthy Cleaning gave it a rating of C for "some concern" across multiple levels, but what really irked me was the warning that it may cause nervous and digestive system effects. What a counter-intuitive effect from clean dishes! I set out to make my own.

I made several concoctions. Some left my dishes looking like I'd sprayed them with concrete dust, forcing me to wash them all by hand. Boo. Others worked fairly well until I found glasses with big globs of goo stuck in them, and had to hand wash those, too. I broke down and bought a package of 7th Generation to get me through a few weeks, and to take a break from trying to make something that worked. And then, I mixed up this recipe, which works really well:

In a glass jar with a lid mix:
1/4 cup citric acid
1 cup sodium carbonate (washing soda) 
1/4 cup salt 
Use 1 tablespoon per load and add white vinegar as a rinse aid (pour it right into the dishwasher compartment).

What did this cost me, and did I save any money? Here's the breakdown:

citric acid = 5 lbs for $18.08 ($0.22/oz), or $0.44 per batch
sodium carbonate = 7 lbs for $9.07 ($0.08/oz), or $0.64 per batch
salt = 26 oz. for $2 ($0.08/oz), or $0.16 per batch
TOTAL per batch: $1.24 yields 12 oz/24 loads, or $0.05/load
TOTAL per year (assuming 365 loads): $18.25*
*= I did not calculate the cost of the white vinegar because I don't know how much a dishwasher actually dispenses. It is generally pennies per ounce.

Finish powerball with Jet Dry = 80 loads for $14.99, or $0.19/load, or $69.35/year (365 loads)

7th Generation = 20 loads for $12.27, or $0.61/load, or $222.65/year (365 loads)

Overall, I saved the following making my own: Finish: $51.10/year, and 7th Gen: $204.40/year. 

Hooray for homemade dishwasher detergent!
___________________

Update: Reality check
OK, I've been using my homemade dishwasher detergent for two full weeks now. And the verdict is in: my dishes have accumulated a soap scum buildup and a layer of film that is not washing off in the dishwasher. I find myself hand-washing a bunch of dishes in the morning when I unload the dishwasher and this is just not fun, nor is it an efficient use of my time. It's also a waste of energy and resources (having already run the dishwasher).

Over the next few weeks, I will try different auto eco-dishwasher detergents, and also try and tweak my own recipe. I'll keep you posted on my findings, loyal readers.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Homemade Cloth Diaper Detergent - Recipe #1

Spotlight on Buying Local: Ronnybrook Farms